OSHA ED – 2018 OHS TRAINING
To match our training calendar month-by-month (on Google Calendar) with the DET Training Calendar – CLICK HERE
If you would like to download the whole year’s calendar (web-based) CLICK HERE
OSHA ED offers training courses for the Education Sector, including Initial and Refresher Courses for HSRs (both approved by WorkSafe Victoria). We have rewritten our 2-day P.D. program for OHS Management Nominees – and “Stress in Schools – Protecting the Psychological Health of Teachers and School Leaders”.
See below for more information.
OHS Issues? Let us point you in the right direction. 30 minute complimentary phone consultation, no obligation, no fee!
Preparing for Audits
School OHS Gap Audits, Appraisals and Assessments Our Gap Audits, Appraisals and Assessments help your school or college pinpoint and be proactive in controlling health and safety risks. It helps to prevent potential issues and ensures your organisation is complying with relevant health and safety legislation and DET requirements. Our auditing services include:
- Comprehensive, independent assessments of your school’s occupational health and safety/risk management program
- performance and climate assessment to identify the nature and extent of problems and develop practical, workable improvement strategies
- Determine where you are now, how far there is to go – and how to get there!
Help with the OHS Management System
OSHA ED offers schools specific assistance with implementation of the DET OHS Management System (OHSMS) and associated issues, including:
- Brief Review of Audit or Gap Analysis for Priority Actions
- Customising the System Tools and Records to your school
- Updating the Risk Register
- Training Needs Analysis, Individual Records & Contractor Management
- Risk assessment and Control Programs including Safe Operating Procedures
- Workstation Ergonomics, Manual Handling & Slips, Trips & Falls
- Chemicals, Hazardous Substances, Inspection and storage systems
- Plant, Machinery and Traffic Management Plans
- Asbestos Management
- Location of underground services
OSHA ED offers a “one stop shop” for OHS issues in schools and colleges.
OHS Training for Schools & Colleges
Over the last 30 years Occupational Safety and Health Associates have been a recognised leading designer and presenter of results-oriented yet entertaining OHS training activities. Since becoming the first private provider to receive approval to conduct 5-day courses for supervisors and managers in 1987, OSHA have gained the reputation of being the go-to organisation for health and safety training.
Our education-sector training programs acknowledge the OHS needs and issues of schools and colleges. Whilst focussing on DET requirements, OSHA ED ensures that our training programs are practical and client-focused – and fun! We work with you in designing a customised program that will suit your organisation both in meeting its health and safety needs and in entertaining your employees along the way.
OSHA ED training promotes communication, co-operation and consultation. Our trainers are highly qualified and are experts in delivering a message that is clear and practical. They strive to make it as user-friendly and enjoyable as possible to ensure that your employees leave feeling positive and enthused about maintaining health and safety in your workplace. We have a vast range of courses ranging from 2-hour briefings, to 5-day approved courses.
Here is what some participants in our training programs have said:
- we were highly active and involved
- possibly the best course I have ever attended (from a teacher!)
- I learned a great deal
- a better understanding of what to do and how to do it
- a very enjoyable and worthwhile course
- we had fun – and we learnt a lot.
We are approved by WorkSafe Victoria to conduct both HSR Initial 5-day OHS and Annual 1-Day HSR Refresher Courses. We also conduct hands-on, practical workshops for OHS Management Nominees.
For details of each of our OSHA ED’s training programs for the Education Sector, click the links below:
or scroll down this page to find more information.
(These courses are suitable for workplaces covered by the Victorian OHS Act 2004. If you are with an organisation under the jurisdiction of the WORK HEALTH & SAFETY ACT 2011 (Commonwealth) see courses approved by Comcare – CLICK HERE.)
To obtain OSHA ED’s full 2018 Education Sector OHS Training Program, CLICK HERE
HSR INITIAL 5-DAY OHS TRAINING for schools & colleges
To exercise powers and rights as an HSR effectively, it is essential that HSRs (and Deputy HSRs) receive training and skill development. The aim of this WorkSafe Approved training course is to provide HSRs in the education sector with the knowledge, skills and confidence to represent their co-workers (in their Designated Work groups) and to help make their workplace safer. Although HSRs are the primary audience, managers, supervisors, Health and Safety Committee members and anyone with an interest in workplace health and safety will also benefit from attending this course.
CLICK HERE to see the 2018 schedule and locations of our HSR Initial OHS Courses, together with enrolment details.
Learning Outcomes – as determined by WorkSafe Victoria:
- Interpreting the occupational health and safety legislative framework and its relationship to the HSR
- Identifying key parties and their legislative obligations and duties
- Establishing representation in the workplace
- Participating in consultation and issue resolution
- Represent DWG members in any OHS risk management process undertaken by the appropriate duty holder/s
- Issuing a Provisional Improvement Notice (PIN) and directing the cessation of work
Under sec. 67(3)(b) of the OHS Act 2004 (Victoria), all elected HSRs and Deputy HSRs are entitled to undertake WorkSafe Victoria approved OHS training.
Occupational Safety and Health Associates is approved to deliver the Initial HSR Training Course.
Under sec. 67, an employer, if requested, must allow an elected HSR and elected Deputy HSR to attend a WorkSafe approved HSR Training Course on paid time, pay the cost of the course and any other associated costs. Sec.67 allows that the HSR may to choose their training provider in consultation with their employer. (OSHA will verify that this requirement has been fulfilled.)
OSHA was one of the first original approved training course providers (back in 1987) and have been conducting this up-to-date approved course since then.
HSR REFRESHER TRAINING
The HSR Refresher OHS Training Course for Health & Safety Reps is a 1-day course designed to provide an overview of recent developments with Victoria’s OHS legislation, review the role, powers and rights of Health and Safety Representatives in their respective workplaces and enhance a participant’s skills and behaviours to successfully carry out the role in their school or college. The course is very suitable for teachers and others from the education sector. (The course is approved by WorkSafe Victoria.)
CLICK HERE to see the 2018 schedule and locations of OSHA ED’s HSR Refresher Courses, together with enrolment details.
Course attendees will revise the basic information and skills required to exercise successfully the powers of a health and safety representative as specified in the Act; updating HSR skills in accordance with the overall Learning Objectives as defined by WorkSafe Victoria:
- Interpreting the work health and safety legislative framework and its relationship to the HSR;
- Identifying key parties, legislative obligations and duties;
- Establishing representation in the workplace;
- Participating in consultation and issues resolution;
- Represent members in the OHS risk management process undertaken by the duty holder/s; and
- Issuing a provisional improvement notice (PIN) and directing the cessation of work.
OHS MANAGEMENT NOMINEE 2-Day Professional Development Program:
- The program will provide practical assistance to those charged with the responsibility of implementing the OHS Management System in their schools, colleges and education workplaces.We review the audit processes that schools will encounter and consider how to engage other staff in making this live in the school.Whilst participants will have the opportunity to list those issues of most relevance and concern, we will provide an overview of the system and introduce its implementation planning/ activity scheduling tools, and move on to explore, using practical case studies to outline the key injury risk hazard reduction processes.
Day 1 Overview and Introduction
The first day is designed to provide participants with succinct information and practical activities to understand key elements of the role as OHS Management Nominee.
Day 2 The Role in DetailOn DAY TWO (the next day) we build on these foundations and go on line to focus on the scope of the Department’s OHS Management System. This program in Day 2 is designed to answer your questions, to enable discussion, share experiences and thoroughly explore and familiarise you with the overall locations and content of the OHSMS.
“STRESS IN SCHOOLS”
– Protecting the Psychological Health of Teachers and School Leaders
To help provide Principals and senior Duty Holders with some understanding – and practical solutions – of these often complex issues, our special “Stress in Schools – Protecting the psychological health of teachers and school leaders” workshops discuss these and a range of other factors.
Featuring experienced Psychologist Dr Jennifer Rice and OSHA Senior Consultant Sandy Doull (M.OHS), these unique one day workshops will provide practical, strategic and informed interventions working on the key issues to prevent Stress Related Ill health. The scale and damage caused is serious, so it is important that the school leadership understands more about the issues.
Workshop topics include:
- The Reality of Stress Related Illness
- Preventing psychological damage in teachers and school leaders
- Difficulties of working with people with complex trauma
- Professional Development in Trauma Informed Practice (TIP) for School Leaders.
CLICK HERE for details of our Stress in Schools Psychological Health workshops.
For a link to our (Google) Calendar – that lists OHS courses month by month – CLICK HERE
If you would like to download the whole year’s calendar (web-based) CLICK HERE
OHS Coordinator Services
OSHA can provide practical, onsite guidance to ensure effective implementation of the DET occupational health and safety management system. We consult with your key personnel to build an understanding of your school or college and provide on-going practical assistance, advice and information. Not only do we explain what you have to do – but we can help you do it.
- On-going practical assistance, advice and information
- Providing a work health and safety resource to the organisation and its people managing OHS responsibilities for contractors.
Call now to have a ‘no-obligation’ chat
If you would like to discuss how our consulting service can assist your school or college’s health and safety needs in detail, please email us at email@example.com or call us on 03 9848 6788.