5 Ways To Stretch It Out At Your Desk
If you spend most of the workweek sitting, these fast and easy desk stretches are the perfect way to add some fit to your day.
It’s no secret, sitting at a desk all day is tough on your health. That’s why it’s so important to add in a daily dose of standing and stretching. But if you have an office job, it can be tricky to take those breaks. The solution:
Set a calendar alert for yourself as a reminder to stand for one to three minutes every half hour. If you have a sit-stand desk (eg like the Ergomotion desks we have in our office), this makes it easier.
Then, mix things up with various stretches to ease the tension from sitting. Here are five ideas you can do right at your work station.
Stretch your Shoulders out
- Place one hand under your opposite elbow.
- Lift your elbow and stretch it across your chest while keeping the rest of your body still.
- Hold for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat with the other arm.
Lift those Legs
- Sitting in your chair, hold on to the armrests, engage your core, and extend both of your legs off the ground.
- Alternate between flexing and pointing your toes five times.
- Release your legs and repeat until you feel the burn—even in your abs!
Talk to the Hand
- Extend one arm out in front of you with your palm facing outward (like you’re saying, “talk to the hand”).
- Use your other hand to pull your fingers back toward you and hold for five breaths.
- Next, point your fingers toward the ground, push your fingers toward you, and hold.
- Repeat with the other hand.
- Face straight ahead and tilt your head towards your ear, making sure not to move your shoulder.
- Hold the stretch for 15-30 seconds, then return your head to the starting position and relax.
- Repeat on the other side.
Do the Twist
- Sit up straight and place your right hand on the back of your chair.
- Twist your body to the right and hold.
- Now, do the same on the left side and hold.
Got a desk-friendly stretching idea? Share it with us in the comments!
(Adapted from the August Fitbit blog)